Where two roommates collaborate to show you our favorite designs, dining, destinations and to-do's

Saturday, September 4, 2010

From trash to treasure


DIY project #1: Medicine cabinet jewelry case.

Supplies:
* Medicine cabinet of your liking
* 1 yd. of fabric of your choice (depending on size of cabinet)
* 1-2 rolls of cork (at least 1/4'' thick)
* paint color of your choice for exterior of cabinet
* Stapler
* 1 sheet of foam poster board
* exacto knife
* fabric cording 
* Hooks and pushpins of your choice
* Glue gun

I purchased my old medicine cabinet at Hunt & Gather down the street, but you could probably find one at a local garage sale, flea market, or your favorite antique store.

Step 1: Remove any shelving that you want to free up space for the earring or necklace hooks you will be using. In my case (no pun intended), I wanted to keep some of the character (and function) of this  cabinet, so I left the bottom shelves as it was. I now use these for my perfum, deodorant, bracelets, rings, etc.

Step 2: Pick out a fun paint color, and give it a fresh coat of paint (if needed). I wanted to keep the "antique-look" of mine, so I went with a similar almond color as a good neutral.

Step 3: Go to your nearest craft/fabric store and pick out a fabric you would like to use on the interior of the cabinet. To keep with the look of a jewelry box, I went with an olive green crushed velvet. 1 yd (depending on how large your cabinet is) should be plenty... I think I even had almost a half a yd. left over! Keep in mind this fabric stretches, so you don't need as much as you think! I also bought a roll of cork board and a sheet of foam poster board to wrap the fabric around. The cork will allow you to insert the push-pins and earring studs easier.

Step 4: Measure the dimensions of the interior of the cabinet, and cut a pieces of poster board to match those dimensions. This is what you will be gluing your cork board to, and what you will be wrapping your fabric around. Mistake #1 that I made with this is that I cut the poster board to the exact dimensions of the interior, and did not allow enough room for the door to be able to shut all the way, so you may need to subtract about a 1/4'' when you are doing the sides of the cabinet so that the door can shut all the way. (I hope I didn't lose you yet... this part was kinda tricky)

Step 5: After you have glued the cork board to the poster board, and wrapped the fabric around (I used a regular stapler to attach the fabric... since I was using the foam poster board, it was easy to staple the fabric into this)

Step 6: Use hot glue, super glue, whatever kind of glue you'd like to insert the pieces of poster board inside your cabinet. I did the very back one first, then inserted the sides. After these are secure, use cording that matches your fabric to wrap around the border of the cabinet (to hide any glue that may have leaked, and to make it look a little more neat and pretty :) )

Step 7: Add any pushpins, cording, hooks, etc. to hang your necklaces and earrings. This part is pretty self-explanatory after you see my pictures... I found a key hook at Anthropologie to use to hang all my necklaces, and found push-pins laying around my house that just happened to match the fabric I chose. I also had to go to my neighborhood hardware store to get some chain to attach to my door. Since it is an old cabinet, the lead mirror was a little heavy, so I used chain to prevent the door from swinging open too much.
My Inspiration: Thanks Mr. Judd & Natalie :)

Final product from the outside- I found my own knob to use instead of the one that came with it.
Interior of finished jewelry case

No comments:

Post a Comment